Sustainability & Ethical Manufacturing
In today's world we don't have the luxury to think of sustainability as an option. With fashion being the highest polluting industry, only second to oil, it is our responsibility as brands and as consumers to make thoughtful choices when making purchases.
All Tiller Swim products are created using ethical manufacturing practices and sustainable materials. Our collection from 2021 are made from 94% biodegradable nylon (ribbed) and 87% biodegradable nylon (flat), which allows for our swimsuits to break down if disposed of in a landfill, helping to reduce our post-consumer waste and overall carbon footprint. Our collection from 2019 and 2020 are made from 78% regenerated nylon, giving post-consumer waste a new life.
Our Supply Chain:
- Manufacturer Packaging: All swimsuits are shipped in the reusable zip pouches. Where necessary, our swimsuits are wrapped in compostable tapioca-based lining for protection. When using plastic poly-bags, they are made from recycled materials and we reuse for other product shipping and storage.
- Shipping Packaging: We utilize poly-mailers made from 100% recyclable materials. These mailers can be recycled and reused with an additional seal option.
- Fabric: Our AMNI SOUL ECO® biodegradable nylon yard is produced in São Paulo, Brazil and shipped to Kalimo (also in São Paulo, Brazil) to be spun into our 94% and 87% biodegradable nylon fabric. Our ECONYL® regenerated nylon yarn is produced in Slovenia and shipped to Carvico in Italy to be spun into our 78% recycled performance fabric.
- Manufacturing: Our 2021 collection fabric was shipped from São Paulo, Brazil to our factories in Los Angeles, California to create our most recent collection. Tiller is based in Los Angeles and we are able to oversee the manufacturing process, meet the individual teams along the supply chain and pick up our production. Our 2019 & 2020 collection fabric is shipped from Italy to Bali, Indonesia to be made into the Tiller Swim you see on site!
- Shipping for distribution: Our 2019 & 2020 suits were sent from Bali, Indonesia to Los Angeles, CA and our 2021 suits were manufactured and shipped from Los Angeles, CA to our customers. Depending on physical location, local orders and pick-ups are always an option for a more direct route.
- We produced the third collection of Tiller Swim in our home base of Los Angeles, California. All development, design & production will be based in the U.S., with our fabric being created and shipped from Brazil. Our factories all meet U.S. labor standards with work life balance being taken into account for all employees in the supply chain.
- Our first and second collections were developed & produced in Bali, Indonesia in a sustainable & ethical facility.
- For each swimsuit produced, an automatic percentage of the purchase is donated to multiple organizations.
- The first organization is the R.O.L.E. Foundation which supports an array of sustainability initiatives including job creation, zero waste management programs and business development support.
- The second organization is BALI WISE, focusing on empowering marginalized women through skills education particularly helping to develop sustainable communities in Indonesia.
- During COVID, our manufacturer has also been supporting SOS Indonesia, an organization redefining the way food is distributed to help feed those in need. The organization has concentrated efforts in both Indonesia and Thailand.
- Any fabric waste from the production process is recycled externally.
- Our manufacturer exceeds standard working conditions in all areas including safety, wages, personal development and work/life balance.
- All employees are paid above minimum wage, with full health insurance to all employees and their families.
- The facility is air-conditioned and all employees are trained extensively in order to utilize state of the art production equipment.
- Meal allowances are offered to all employees.
- Working hours are 40 hours or lower per week and any voluntary overtime is compensated, all according to the Indonesian Manpower regulation.
- Profit sharing is offered to all employees which is paid out annually
- Employees are offered career & personal development opportunities, including regular offerings of business development, decision making and business English courses.
- Company wide free exercise clubs and classes are offered, including weekly pick-up soccer and Zumba!
- Non-Ribbed 2021 Swim: 87% biodegradable nylon, 13% spandex.
- Ribbed 2021 Swim: 94% biodegradable nylon, 6% spandex.
- Non-Ribbed 2019 & 2020 Swim: 78% Recycled Polyamide made from ECONYL® thread, 22% Elastane.
- Ribbed 2020 Swim: 92% Recycled Polyamide made from ECONYL® thread, 8% Elastane.
- Resistant to UV Rays, Chlorine, Oils and Pilling
- Shape Retention & Two-Way Stretch
- Extra Comfort & Ultra Soft
- Most of our suits are designed to be reversible so that you're getting double the wear out of each piece. All swim pieces are made to be flattering, comfortable and durable so you're spending less money replacing suits each season and will be contributing to less waste of materials and resources.
Tees & Sweatshirts:
- GOT Certified 100% Organic Cotton
- Hand-dyed logo lettering using natural, water-based dyes.
- All tie dye sweatshirts are dyed with all natural dyes including but not limited to Indigo, Turmeric, Cochineal and Madder.
- 100% European Flax Linen
- Made in the U.S.
- Natural material buttons
2021 Sustainability & Ethics Goals:
This year, Tiller will continue our sustainability journey by innovating our current supply chain, manufacturing and materials used. Additionally, we plan to increase our transparency and more actively prioritize diversity and inclusion in the realm of both race and body types. Here is what we're hoping to accomplish during the remainder of 2020 and into 2021:
- Utilize fabric that has the ability to decompose in landfills: This initiative is well on its way and our third collection (launched Summer 2021) will feature fabric that breaks down when disposed of in a landfill.
- Begin manufacturing in the U.S.: as we begin the planning process, we have shifted our design, development and production to Los Angeles, CA. The third collection of Tiller will be fully conceptualized, designed and created in the U.S. and we hope to expand our partnerships domestically in order to reduce emissions produced from excess shipping. This will not only help to reduce our footprint YoY, it will also allow our team to be closer to the production process, enabling even higher quality products to be offered.
- Give back to sustainable and social efforts: This upcoming year we plan to contribute at least 1% of all profits to sustainability and social justice efforts.
- Promote diversity and inclusion: As an Asian-American female founder, it is of utmost importance that Tiller actively supports female empowerment and diversity at all stages of the business. As the brand grows, we will feature BIPOC models, influencers and content creators on social media and our website. Eventually when we're able to expand the team, we will actively hire people of different ethnicities and backgrounds to join Tiller.
- Promote size inclusivity: This year, we've expanded our size range to fit XS - XXL.